Offices in California and Nevada
The firm’s attorneys are committed to bringing strength to every client’s position through advocacy and devoted service. Starting with the firm’s senior attorney Brett Sutton, who has over 28 years of experience, the firm’s focus is counseling clients on labor and employment law matters and aggressively representing clients in litigation of employment law and business-related cases before federal courts, state courts and administrative agencies.
The firm provides a more personal and accessible attorney-client relationship. Most of the firm’s attorneys are admitted to practice law in more than one state. SHLC attorneys are strategically located in key California and Nevada cities to allow more efficient and effective representation of clients throughout both states. Some of the notable achievements of the firm’s attorneys include:
- Dismissal of wage and hour class action case on behalf of employer after successful depositions of class representatives.
- Court-ordered dismissal and awarded attorney’s fees following successful anti-SLAPP motion in an employment case.
- Jury trial verdict under difficult circumstances on behalf of a law firm sued for sexual harassment.
- Jury trial verdict on behalf of business with award of punitive damages for fraud in business sale.
- Jury trial verdict on behalf national ATM business for breach of contract with award of attorneys fees and costs.
- Federal court defense trial verdict in an ADA-workplace discrimination case on behalf of a government-funded agency.
- Millions of dollars recovered on behalf of businesses and individuals in a variety of litigation cases.
- Multiple summary judgment motions granted on behalf of employers in workplace discrimination cases.
- Trial verdict on behalf of an employer in a union strike case that was eventually upheld by the full National Labor Relations Board in Washington, D.C. in precedent-setting decision.
- Administrative agency trial experience such as OSHA including dismissal of all OSHA citations and fines in a workplace fatality case.
- Successful representation of employers in Labor Commissioner trials including dismissals such as dismissal of a $350,000 wage claim.
- Prevailed at important Northern Nevada election recount case at emergency hearing: “The interest of justice and fairness are being upheld, as is the will of the voters.” – Lisa Krasner, Nevada Assembly Member, District 26
- Extensive experience in wage and hour class action litigation in both state and federal courts.
- Impressive track record of assisting companies in successfully defeating union organization efforts and elections including a recent unanimous pro-company election.
- In 2016, Brett Sutton was elected as a Fellow of the prestigious College of Labor and Employment Lawyers.
- Brett Sutton selected to contribute and provide editorial review to the leading legal treatise on California Employment Litigation
- Brett Sutton honored by the Nevada Restaurant Association (“NvRA”) with the Allied of the Year for 2014: “Brett Sutton has been a champion for our industry. His expertise has helped shepherd the industry through difficult situations when we needed it most.” – Katherine Jacobi, NvRA President and CEO
- Obtained important 2015 court ruling for agricultural employers in California on the issue of meal period requirements dramatically limiting exposure to damages and penalties for ag client.
- Anonymous comments submitted by other attorneys about Brett Sutton as part of 2015 Martindale-Hubbell conducted peer review survey which resulted in the highest possible AV Preeminent® Peer Review rating by Martindale-Hubbell:
“Brett comes with an aggressive attitude tempered by his strong ethics. He is thoughtful and deliberate.”
“One of the smartest, hardest working and most creative attorneys I’ve ever worked with. Brett is deserving of the highest possible rating.”
“Brett is an exceptionally skilled and ethical trial lawyer”